Work has been keeping me extremely busy over the past few months, so I haven't had much time for any new entries. This, however, doesn't mean that there hasn't been anything going on. I figured it was about time I provided an update so people will quit asking if I'm still alive
Contrary to what I said in the past about no longer maintaining these libraries, I have been quietly releasing updated versions of the code with bug fixes. There are quite a number of people using them for various reasons so I have decided to continue supporting and developing all the libraries. There will be a few changes though. I have had far too many emails and questions concerning the lack of licensing (For some reason people don't get the public domain concept). To hopefully reduce the amount of questions I get about this, I will be releasing the next versions under a BSD license. I will also being maintaining versioning information for each file and the changes made between versions. The changes made so far have primarily been concerned with fixes when used through a SOAP server context, some ability to perform encryption in a SOAP message from the client side and some new features that I have needed for an Managed Identity provider (see the Infocard section for details).
Serendipity 1.2 beta testing has been going well. I released an initial cut of an OpenID plugin for it. Much of the initial functionality from my alpha code was removed to make the plugin a bit simpler to start with and I hope someone will eventually take over its development. The next step for myself is to finally release my alpha plugin for Infocard support. It is almost done, but prior to publicly releasing it I want to migrate my current site to the 1.2 beta and actually use the plugin itself rather than my original code which involves a highly modified Serendipity installation.
Lately, I have been working on creating a library in PHP for a Managed Card provider. The code will be released shortly, but I would first like to get a public demo of it up and running. What I learned from that experience is that the correct spelling of namespaces is critical . It only took me a few days of wasted time trying to track down why the selector failed to retrieve the token after authentication, only to find out that I had a typo in the WS-Security namespace URI (doh!).
In May I at the International PHP Conference in Stuttgart, I gave the presentations Web Services and SOA and Who am I? - The Age of the Digital Identity. I had a great time while there other than losing my luggage (twice). After the conference I popped over to London for a few days, as I had never been there before. Other than being damn expensive, London was a fun place to visit.
Not having all that much time this year, I will be heading to only two more conferences this year. I will presenting a talk on digital identity and PHP at OSCON at the end of this month and in October will be heading to San Fransisco for ZendCon, where I'll be giving a talk on Web Services.
The Infamous Bear:
Last year you might recall the bear we had roaming around the front yard. Well it came back this year and we were getting along pretty well until it went after our goats. Thanks to the Game Warden, the bear was re-located to somewhere in northern Maine. Now, you would think that would be all to the story, but as luck has it (or maybe its a curse), another one showed up only a week later. We were able to get a clear view of this bear and its definitely not that same one. Now, we are just hoping that this one doesn't overstep its bounds and we can get along (otherwise it might be joining its friend up north).