A lot has been happening in the world of identity selectors and I'm finally getting around to mentioning some of it. In the past, you might have noticed that on my linux machine, outside of the openinfocard selector, I have had little to no luck with any other selectors. Things have finally changed in this regard. You might be aware of the DigitalME selector. I may be mistaken, but believe it to have been the first selector available for the Mac. There is still no Windows support, but I did find a Fedora 7 rpm available for download. As I had recently upgraded to Fedora 8, I decided to give it a try and was pleasantly surprised with the results. As you can see from the following screen shots, it is really clean and polished, oh I forgot to mention the big thing that is also works (for the most part).
If you look at the larger image, you will notice the selector divided between 2 parts. Within the "My Cards" section, I have selected the CData Personal card (notice its highlighted). To the right, you are presented with the claims that will be submitted with the card.; Personal Private Identitifier (which I have blurred out), my given and surname (Rob Richards) and finally my email address. The last two items listed (http://www.bandit-project.org/identity/claims/groupmembership and http://burtongroup.com/interop/2007/05/identity/cameratype) are optional claims for which I am not providing any data for.
As you can see, I am now successfully logged into the system. It breezed through some of the sites I test against and worked fine with my own managed card demo. I did run into a few glitches. I think the wrost happened to be when firefox had launched the selector and I accidentally clicked on something outside of the selector; cuasing it to go to the background. Well, my desktop ended up to be a bit useless at that point. Everything was greyed out, since I was the stages of selecting a card, but I couldnt get the selector to come back and no clicks or key presses did any good. I ended up having to reboot at that point (And this, folks, is why I test out new selectors within a VM).
Now, this doesn't mean I am switching my selectors. Although for most people, I would recommend using DigitalME over openinfocard, mostly due to the fact that openinfocard is currently a development selector with lots of debug code too, but also DigitalME looks slick; still not up to the CardSpace eyecandy level, but getting there. I have been using openinfocard for well over a year now and think I'll stick it out with it and see where it goes. Plus, there's plenty of work to be done on it, so when I have time I try to help (though pitiful it may be), with it.
One change in the works I am looking forward to see developed is the identity selector selector, which is currently in its infancy stage. The problem boils down to the possibilty of having multiple selectors installed. How does a browser determine which selector is launched when called for? On the simplest level, the identity selector selector would allow a user to specify which selector they would like to use, so when one is called the correct one is launched. This stems from a firefox extension to support CardSpace. Work is now being done for a plugable system so that selectors can fit within this framework, providing the user with choice rather than selector conflicts.
Another change that has occured is the usage of Infocarmation cards without the requirements of SSL. CardSpace rolled out this change in the 3.5 .NET release. Other selectors, such as the latest openinfocard releases, already support this functionality. You can test this against a little demo I wrote: Non-SSL Infocard support. This takes advantage of my latest infocard-lib library, which simply by passing False as the third paramter to the processCard function, handles the non-ssl enabled communications without any other code changes.
These are just a couple of the changes that have/are happening, but imo a little more noteable than others given an end user perspective. Personally I am excited over some of the changes that have been made to the openinfocard selector (i.e. remote card storage). Those, however, I will leave for another day. Given that there happens to be a nice snow storm heading into Maine this weekend, I expect to have plenty of time to present some of those changes.
I don't believe the DigitalME selector has support for the non-SSL enabled interactions yet (or at least no public release yet), so the card being submitted is still encrypted. The non-ssl functionality is only a few months old, so I would expect DigitalME to have it available in the near future.
As I mentioned before the openinfocard is more of a development extension so is modified and released quite often, so this functionality had been added on and released at an early stage.